3 view header

3 view header

Monday, September 20, 2010

Pumpkin Topiaries

I finally got around to making my pumpkin topiaries and they look awesome!  I did something a little different this year.  Instead of using real pumpkins, I purchased some fake ones at Michaels.  They were 40% off so I spent about $25 for 4 pumpkins.  Not bad considering I can use them year after year.  I would spend almost as much buying real pumpkins every year and they would just get thrown away.  Now I can just put them in a storage container and bring them out every fall ready to go!

The idea for these topiaries came from a Lowe's home magazine about 4 or 5 years ago.  They used real pumpkins, drilled holes down the middle and inserted a metal rod to hold them together.  Only problem is the pumpkins start to rot after a few weeks and I wanted to keep mine for 2 months.  I decided to use their idea but change it up a bit.  I used my trusty old glue gun to hold the pumpkins together and it works great!  I keep the topiaries out until the end of November when I get all my Christmas decorations out.

Here's is what I used to make 2 topiaries:

2 medium pumpkins

2 small pumpkins

fall leaves and berries

2 pots or urns (I used the urns on my porch that had summer flowers in them)

spanish moss




I started by hot-gluing a few leaves near the stem on the small pumpkins. I had some berries and acorns left over from my wreath project so I glued some of those on too.



Then I glued some leaves on the bottom of the medium pumpkins.


Finish by gluing the small pumpkin to the bottom of the medium pumpkin.  I know this sounds backwards but I didn't want to cut the stem off the medium pumpkin and take a chance of ruining it so I just turned the pumpkin upside down.




I kept the potting soil in my urns so they would have some weight to them and not blow away.  I dug a shallow hole and pushed the pumpkins, stem side down, into the urn.  Finish off with a little spanish moss around the edges to hide the dirt.  Easy peasy (and inexpensive!) and so much fun for fall!  I love the way they look on my front porch will all the other fall decor.  The pillow on my chair was from Target (years ago) and I always used the side with the leaves.  I decided to turn it around and I like the striped side now.  I think my front porch is done - maybe I'll get a potted mum - but other than that, I'm done!!




20 comments:

  1. Hey Lori, THANK YOU for linking up, really made me happy to see the response already. What a great deal on these pumpkins, def worth it. I can't stand buying real pumpkins just to toss them out within a few weeks. So we usually only have ONE, he he. This is a great project, and it turned out great. Oh I can't wait to see what else you link up, and remember, my other party is for EVERYTHING else, so anything goes, :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that's great! You can't even tell the bottom pumpkin is upside down. I had wondered if it was possible to cut into the fake pumpkins. Next time I come across one at a yard sale, I'll get it just to experiment with.

    Thanks for linking up to my Porch and Garden Party!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Visiting from Support blog for mom's of Boys! Love these topiaries. So cute and festive!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi good day ! nice post you have . about this decoration they are beautiful . this add attraction to our home . it depends only on how you put it or the arrangement in order to fit it in your interiors and theme . like me i have some home and garden decors which i contrast with my garden accessories and garden spinner and they blend perfectly . lovely set up !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yeah...these are sooo amazing, girly!! Way to go! I just love how you can customize them to fit your decor! You're just so creative!I'm happy to be your newest follower of your delightful blog and I'd love to have you as a friend at FrouFrou Decor! I would also like to invite you to show off your sweet creations each Friday at my Fabulous Friday Finds party! Hope to see you there!
    Hugs,
    ~Terrell @ FrouFrou Decor~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those look great! Thanks so much for sharing your project with us at Anything Related!
    {Rebekah}

    ReplyDelete
  7. These turned out cute! Funny, I was out buying a few supplies yesterday to make almost the exact same thing!

    Thanks for linking my Flaunt it Friday party... come back soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just hopping over from Remodelaholic. These turned out great! I could really use something just like this on my porch!

    Tashia @ http://homeinspiredbliss.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice! I love those topiaries and yours is so cute! I love your porch too, what a great place to sit and relax! Found you are Frou Frou Decor!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those turned out very cute!!! Love your front porch :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lori, It's so nice to meet you!! I LOVE those pumpkins in the urns. I've been looking for urns(within my budget)to redo and haven't been successful yet but I'm hoping to find some before Christmas. I checked at St. Vinney's today and no luck there either.

    All our disposable (is there really such a thing??)income has gone into that much needed paint job and of course daughter's college tuition came due at the same time. Grrr.....doesn't my family know they are seriously using my decorating money :)

    Check your email and I'll give you my two cents on the bay windows. Hugs, Marla

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loving these topiaries. You did a great job on them. Unfortunately my porch isn't big enough for any of those, but will have to file this idea away for a later time.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this idea. if you need new recipes ever come check out our blog.

    new follower too

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great idea, thanks so much for linking up to gettin' crafty on hump day :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, these are great! I may have to try this!

    http://nicholesownspace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. These turned out great. I may just have to get some fake ones this year!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey BFF - you know I'm copying this one! So clever and cute!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Don't forget to check out The Halloween Scene at SSB!

    http://superstinkyboys.blogspot.com/2010/09/halloween-scene-1.html

    xoxo
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  19. You have been featured at The Halloween Scene at SSB! Check out the link below:

    http://superstinkyboys.blogspot.com/2010/10/spooky-loot-from-halloween-scene.html

    Feel free to snag my I was Featured button for your blog! Hope you'll visit again soon!
    Ginger
    SSB

    ReplyDelete