3 view header

3 view header

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Watch Out Pottery Barn!!




I love Pottery Barn - really, I do.  They have beautiful furniture and accessories but their prices are insane! I always try to hide the Pottery Barn Teen catalog when it arrives. I know my teen daughter will beg for everything in it.  Well, she got the mail the other day and guess what came?  Um, yeah - the Pottery Barn Teen catalog.  She kept showing me pages of things she wanted and one of them was a message/bulletin board thingy for only $300.00!!  Are you kidding me?  Three hundred dollars for a bulletin board!!  It is neat and cute and can be customized for your room but come on.  No way am I spending that kinda money on a bulletin board.  I told her I could make her one that would look similar.  It would be totally awesome (yes, I'm an 80's girl) and she would love it.  Needless to say, she was not excited about the idea.  Until I started working on it and she could see how cool it was going to be.  This is Pottery Barn's version ($300):



 Here is what I came up with:


 I used chalk board paint, 3 cork tiles and 2 decorative cork tiles from Target (on clearance!). One of the tiles I covered in left over fabric and used scrap ribbon I already had to frame the edges.  Then, my handy man hubby trimmed it out with a $12 piece of molding from Home Depot.  Total cost for my totally awesome bulletin board:  Under $20.00!!!!  Take that Pottery Barn!!!


I took pictures before Taylor covered it with photo's and stuff so you could actually see what I did.  : )



While we were in a crafty mood, I decided to spruce up the cork board she already had. It was just a plain cork board with a cheapo fake wood frame.  I painted it to match her room and then added scraps of paper (left over from scrapbooking) and some buttons and few other embellishments. It turned out really cute too!


A few other things I've been working on in her room:

Old chair from a thrift store - painted white and covered the cushion with fabric that matches her room.

Everything on the shelves was stuff I already had.  If it didn't match her room, I just painted it!


Right now her room is a total disaster!  I am painting her antique dresser and organizing all the crap lovely things she thinks she has to keep. Hoping to have it all done in the next few days then I'll have more pictures!


Oh, by the way, little sister Hannah wants a cool bulletin board for her room too!  Guess handyman hubby is going to be busy again this weekend!  : )

Linking up to the following parties:



Funky Junk Interiors

10 comments:

  1. LOVE the way that bulletin board turned out. I actually like your version much better than the PB Teen version. What an awesome room with so many decorator touches. You did a great job on that chair. Love the modern teen meets vintage look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did GREAT! You are one talented lady -- can't wait to see what else you will come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute bulletin board. Yours looks much better than the PB one.

    I saw your curtains over at Remodaholic and had to come check your blog out. I'm a thrifty decorating girl too! I'll be adding you to my follow list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks great!! I made my daughter a few cork boards in the last few years. I need to make my own now. :)

    Please come and see my Halloween slide show I posted today.


    Katharine @ Kat's AlmostPurrfect World
    http://katspurrfectboutique.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lori, you never cease to amaze me! You are incredibly talented, and have a never-ending supply of cool decorating ideas! Love this bulletin board!

    ReplyDelete
  6. awesome vision! I love this!! visiting from Bella Before and After

    ReplyDelete
  7. very fun! That board turned out AMAZING! I really like it. Thanks for linking up to Topsy Turvy Tuesday's!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just got the catalog too - I saw this and wanted to make a few for my kids. Yours turned out so great - love all the stuff that you are doing to her room!

    ReplyDelete
  9. linked here from knockoff decor..this is awesome! I am a follower now :)

    ReplyDelete