Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Laundry Room OCD



If you've been reading my blog for a while then you know that I suffer from OCD - Obsessive Compulsive Decorating. Please tell me I'm not the only one with this problem. There have to be others out there like me. I just get tired of stuff after a while and like to change things up. Does anyone else do this? Say yes even if you don't so I don't feel like a wierdo - thanks!


Here's the deal-e-o . . . Last year I updated my laundry room with a new shelf and some dollar store accessories. I started with this:




Ummm, yeah. There are no words. 


Then it looked like this for a while:




Definitely better but I was ready for a change. I know, I know. I just changed it up a year ago but that is actually a long time for me.  : )


Here is my laundry room today - after a few minor changes:




Can you tell I got a new camera too? Holey moley those old pictures are awful!


I purchased the wood letters at JoAnn's and gave them a few coats of black paint. 




The old wash board got some turquoise paint to spruce it up a bit. I also painted an old frame, added the laundry room subway art and added a few accessories.




I still love the tray with all my soap and laundry supplies on it. Remember that I'm vertically challenged so it's nice to have everything within reach. I put the dryer sheets in a ceramic pot that I had and added some ribbon. Much better than an ugly dryer sheet box! Of course those detergent bottles don't look so great but I think I've got a solution for those! (see bottom of post)




The round black rug was a clearance find at Walmart. I got 2 and put the other one in Hannah's bedroom.




My laundry room is really small. I don't even think of it as a room. More like a closet with a washer and dryer in it. Handyman Hubby added some hooks for me to hang clothes on. Using every amount of space is key when dealing with a teeny tiny room like this.


Okay, before I shut up and end this extremely loooong post, I have a question for you all. I have been thinking about making my own laundry soap. What do you think? Do you make your own? I'd love to hear your ideas and thoughts. Thanks bunches!


I have 2 reasons for wanting to do this. #1- Laundry soap is expensive and I'd like to save some money by making my own. Reason #2 - I can put the detergent in a cute little container and get rid of those ugly plastic bottles!! 


Yes I know that is a cheesy reason but hey, I suffer from OCD - obsessive compulsive decorating - so it's really beyond my control!


Have an awesome day!!


Linking up to the following parties:





Beyond The Picket Fence



Transformation Thursday


















10 comments:

  1. I found you at Handy Man, Crafty Woman. Here's a GREAT recipe for homemade laundry detergent http://mylilpumpkinpatch.blogspot.com/2011/08/homemade-laundry-soap-tutorial.html
    This stuff is awesome, cleans great and leaves clothes smelling wonderful...what more could ya ask for, Oh yeah, it's REALLY cheap to make (like under 5 cents a load). It is liquid though, so I don't know if you'll be able to put it in a cute container, but if you do, please post it on your blog. I just have mine in empty laundry detergent bottles and milk jugs, ugh!
    I'm enjoying reading your blog and am going to become a follower :) Thanks, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there. I found you on a linky party. I love the small details that you added to your laundry room. Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great makeover! I love the pops of aqua---it's such a fun color.
    And I vote yes for making your own laundry detergent. I make my mine and it works really well. Plus it's way cheaper and has way less chemicals!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so inspired! I want to make my own soap now and put in a cool jar. Is there a link to your laundry subway art??????love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute laundry room and I really love the aqua! I've never tried making my own laundry detergent but I have heard that it is really easy. I use the Norwex powder so I still get to use the cute glass container! Thanks so much for linking up to The Creative Spark. Happy Sunday!
    Jenn :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a great use of space! I love how you dressed up your laundry room. It definitely gets neglected at my house. Thanks for the inspiration! Thanks for sharing this @ Show & Share!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks beautiful! Great job!

    Jenny
    www.simcoestreet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your laundry closet!! ;) I also make my own laundry detergent and love it!! Have been using it for almost a year and works great. I do use a powder, not a liquid, but it's for non-HE. Make sure what ever you decide to make it can be used in your machine!! Love the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love you laundry room , mine is samll as well and this gave me some ideas , Thank you !!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Totally sympathize with your OCD problem! LOL--I love to change things up after a while too. Lucky for us, my husband is military and we move quite often--which gives me a reason to redecorate. haha.
    Love the laundry room with the blue accents. This is giving me some good ideas so thanks for sharing.
    PS. We also tried the homemade laundry soap. It seemed fine at first, but after a few months I noticed all the whites were becoming very dingy and just didn't seem to be getting clean enough. I altered the recipe to make it stronger...even added oxy to the mix but ultimately decided to switch back to regular laundry detergent. Glad we tried it though!
    Lindsay

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! I read each and every comment and I appreciate the time you have taken to visit Thrifty Decor Mom.