Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Grocery Shopping, Coupons and Saving Money

Today I'm sharing how I save money on groceries. I've always used coupons but when my grocery bill started to increase I knew something had to change. 


What works for me is meal planning and grocery shopping once a week. I have thought about trying a 2 week schedule but haven't done it yet. I think once the kiddos go back to school I might give it a try. Right now they eat everything up as soon as I bring it home from the store!


The first thing I do is decide what we're having for dinner for the upcoming week. I go thru my recipes and if I need any ingredients they go on my list. I also look in the fridge, freezer and pantry to see if we're out of anything. Then I look at my store circular to see what is on sale and match coupons to the sales. I do most of my grocery shopping at Meijer because they double coupons and I can combine store coupons with manufacturer coupons to save even more!

There are a few things I get at Costco because the prices are a lot cheaper. We get all our paper towels, toilet paper and tissues there and I always buy the Costco brand. I also get shredded cheese in the large bag, divide it up into individual baggies and freeze it. It is A LOT cheaper! 


Basement Pantry for items I stock up on


A few other tips on saving money . . if an item is on sale and you have coupons to make it free or cheap go ahead and buy it - even if you don't need it right away. Stock up on items when you can get them at great prices. A few weeks ago I purchased 4 bottles of BBQ sauce because they were on sale and I had 4 coupons. I paid about 40¢ for each bottle! They have a long shelf life so I added them to my extra pantry in the basement.






I also freeze butter, bread, hamburger and hotdog buns, cheese, deli meat and a bunch of other things. Right now I have several loaves of bread in my freezer because they were buy one, get one FREE and I had coupons too!

Here are a few of the websites I go to for the latest deals and coupons:


A Thrifty Mom




Deal Finding Chik

Deal Finding Chik


http://printablecouponsanddeals.com/



I'd love to hear how you save money on groceries! Leave me a comment with your ideas and suggestions!


6 comments:

  1. HI Lori! I recently did a meal plan for a week (wanted to be like you!) and it was so nice not to stress about what to eat. Like, I mean SO NICE. :) I have not gotten as organized as you as far as checking ads and matching coupons though. We currently have 23% Food Perks at Giant Eagle to use. Even though we think that they are more expensive, that is a huge savings when we need tons of things and will probably be getting at least $200 in groceries. I have a sister-in-law that is the coupon queen and she uses a lot of coupons from CVS that are at the bottom of her receipt. She gets all of her toiletries that way there. Thanks for sharing your awesome tips, I am striving to be more organized and save us money too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving your site and style of decor!!!!! I am visiting form thee blog hop. I am a little bit late but I wanted to stop by and say hi. I blog over at http://garagesalesrus.blogspot.com/I am a new follower. I hope you will stop by and do the same. I also have an awesome giveaway going on right now with a Circut Machine! I would love it if you would enter! http://www.garagesalesrus.blogspot.com/2012/07/surprise-giveaway.html

    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are some great tips, I just recently started freezing bread and was surprised to find out it does not have any effect on the bread. I need to buy the big bag of cheese at costco and freeze some of it what a great idea.
    I am your newest follower from the once a month blog hop

    ReplyDelete
  4. The content of the article was in good details. I hope you’ll keep posting nice to read blogs and informative articles. Thank for sharing a nice one. Great job.

    medical evaluation

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful article. It's very short, yet still jam-packed with great ideas and tips. Keep your posts coming!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic saving tips you have here. It would also help one to look for items in the retail display since they are a lot cheaper compared to wholesale.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! I read each and every comment and I appreciate the time you have taken to visit Thrifty Decor Mom.